We haven't really had a summer here in the Pacific Northwest. Here we sit near the end of August and we've only had (I think) three days that have hit ninety degrees or more. It's so pitiful.
And I know that a lot of people around the country would say, "Heck, I'll trade you. We're so hot here we're melting!" OK, not really. The only people who say "heck" are in Utah. But if you are going to trade me my extraordinarily mild "summer" for your sizzling hot summer, then you also have to take my soggy October through May. Deal?
Oregon only has about 60 sunny days a year, (no, I'm not joking on that one), and about 2/3 of the remaining 305 days include rain, so I like to let my kids soak up every last second of dry, relatively warm weather they can get. As fall approaches and the sun begins to set earlier, that means they are often playing in the dark.
And they also like to ride bikes.
Who else lets their kids ride bikes in the dark? Anyone? Anyone?
Well you would if you had one of the cool toys my kid has. Ever heard of BikeGlow? They make a safety light that is sort of like a really long, flexible glow stick that wraps around your bicycle frame, illuminating so much more of the bike than just a few dinky reflectors. The bike can actually be seen from the side at night.
See:
That's Ethan's bike in the pitch black night. Hard to miss, huh?
To give you a better idea of how it works, I've uploaded a handy video of Ethan riding his bike at ten o'clock at night. (Please remember that my camera is a piece of garbage and it actually looks even more awesome than this.) You can see him coming from clear down the street! (Except for when he's behind trash cans.)
Did you also notice that while Ethan was well lit, I did not make him put on a helmet for the demonstration? That's how with it I am.
BikeGlow is beyond easy to put on your bike. I did it in about four minutes. And the best part is that it runs off of two AA batteries and the battery pack velcros right underneath the seat post. Super easy. Ethan could have installed the whole thing himself, but I don't like to share the fun.
The light can also be set to three modes of illumination: steady on, slow flash and fast flash. I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible to miss a bike lit up with the BikeGlow on fast flash. Looks a bit like a strobe light.
So if you want to keep your kids safe on their bikes in the dark, or even the not-quite-dark, BikeGlow is a very good idea. It's easy to install and it's effective. It's also affordable. And because you read this entire post, it's even more affordable because you get a 25% discount. Yey for discounts!!
Go to BikeGlow.com and choose your color, (there are 8 to pick from), slam that baby in your shopping cart, and enter organicglow into the coupon code box at checkout. Simple as that. You'll be glad you did. I'm getting a red one for Andrew because he bikes to and from work. That's right - it's for grown-up kids, too!
I received one free BikeGlow Safety Light for free in order to accommodate my review, but my opinion on the product is honest and untainted by the free gift. Just in case you were wondering if this was legit.
1 comment:
Love the Bike Glow! What a great idea!
Post a Comment